Thursday, 24 October 2013

FIRST SLOG!!! How it all began.....

An appropriate introduction to this blog, I believe, would be to discuss my motivations for taking this course, followed by how I am enjoying it now thats its more than half done.

To begin discussing  how it is I ended up taking this course, brings me to a discussion of mathematics. The world of mathematics has always fascinated me. Although my passion for the subject came rather late in my academic life (nearing the end of highschool) I have since been very captivated by the natural beauty of the subject. 

Although I have taken several courses in the field throughout my university career (now 3 years in) my mathematical brain is still very underdeveloped, but throughout my studies it is the continuous collisions I have with crazy problems, and unbelievable proofs completed by some really brilliant people that inspire me to learn more. 

To progress with this passion of mine, I realized that a working knowledge of computing, from its history to basic programming is definitely required. As such, during course selections this year, I decided on taking this course, which, by its description, seems to address both the history and basic computing knowledge i lack!

Now that this course is more than half done, I believe it has really lived up to its description. I am especially enthused by this weeks lecture on the mechanics behind memory storage. It inspired me to go on a wikipedia tyrade; from researching the evolution of the compact disk to quantum entaglement and its use in the development of quantum computer! Although the programming portion seems pretty primitive, I think the idea of recursion and modelling systems such as the epidemiology project seem quite interesting!

Anyways, I think this has been a pretty good first blog entry. So I'll end here!

P.S To anyone reading this, theres a cool portion of the movie I Am which discusses some interesting aspects of quantum entaglement from a very non scientific point of view, you might want to check it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment